CEC names green building advisory panel
The newly formed group will provide advice to the CEC on the design and development of the study, to be entitled Green Building in North America: Opportunities and Challenges.
According to the commission, buildings consume an estimated 65 percent of all electricity generated, 40 percent of raw materials and generate about 30 percent of all greenhouse gas emissions; and yet green building represents only a small fraction of new construction in North America.
The study will attempt to answer questions on specific difficulties and success factors, and outline measures for the public and private sector to encourage green building practices. Recommendations will also be provided to the CEC Council, which consists of the top environment officials from Canada, Mexico and the United States.
The advisory group consists of experts related to the broad spectrum of green building issues, including developers and architects, sustainable energy experts, real estate appraisers and brokers, and local and national government representatives.
Members of the group are:
- Jonathan Westeinde (Chair), Windmill Development Group (Canada)
- Anne Auger, Office of Energy Efficiency at Natural Resources Canada (Canada)
- Bob Berkebile, BNIM Architects (US)
- Peter Busby, Busby Perkins + Will (Canada)
- Guillermo Casar Marcos, Ingenieros Civiles Asociados (Mexico)
- Patricia Clarey, Health Net of California and member of the CEC Joint Public Advisory Committee
- Karen Cook, EECOM (US)
- Evangelina Hirata Nagasako, Comisión Nacional de Fomento a la Vivienda (Mexico)
- Donald R. Horn, Office of Applied Science at the US General Services
- Administration’s Public Buildings Service (US)
- Benoit Labonté, Borough of Ville-Marie, Montreal (Canada)
- Susan L. MacLaurin, GWL Realty Advisors (Canada)
- Juan C. Mata Sandoval, Secretaría de Energía (Mexico)
- David Morillon, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (Mexico)
- Scott Muldavin, The Muldavin Company, Inc. (US)
- José Picciotto, Picciotto Architects (Mexico)
- Marlo Raynolds, Pembina Institute (Canada)
- Diane Sugimura, Department of Planning and Development, Seattle (US)
- Kaarin Taipale, Helsinki School of Economics’ Center for Knowledge and Innovation Research (Finland)
- César Ulises Treviño, Mexico City Green Building Council (Mexico)
- Robert Watson, Natural Resource Defense Council (US)
- The group will develop a strategy for the study and assist in preparation of the final report, to be delivered to the CEC Council in fall 2007.